Saturday, June 9, 2007

Strolling but no Stunting

The temperature was supposedly in the single digits this morning but, when the sky is clear and there's no wind, it feels way warmer. I strolled downtown to check out some of the stores, stopping at Javaroma for a skinny latte.
When I was in one of the shops, the power went out--as I've mentioned this is a regular occurence. Checked out the price of polar bear diamonds at one jewellery store: one carat starts at $8,000. Guess I won't be dripping with gems when I come home.
I also had a look at parkas in a touristy type shop and some of the fur coats were made in China... However, I discovered that if I am in need of retail therapy, I can definitely find help at a couple of first-rate women's stores. And Elaine from the CBC works occasionally at a lovely gift shop that sells Belgian chocolate. She just happened to be unpacking some when I arrived, and gave me a few of the broken ones.

I spotted this Smart Car in the parking lot of the hospital. Note the license plate: 2 Cute.
In the north, I'd be looking for something more than cuteness in a vehicle, especially on the highway were bison regularly wander onto the road.

I also noticed this sign on today's walk through the hospital grounds. The stunters have moved over to the Nova Court suites where I'm staying. Sometimes late at night I hear skateboarders doing their tricks on the pavement below my window. But I'm learning to fall asleep in all kinds of challenging circumstances--in the daylight and to the rhythm of stunters.

No comments: