Saturday, June 2, 2007

From Canadian Tire to Old Town

I was hard-pressed to find a parking spot at Canadian Tire this morning, as everyone was either out buying up plants at the Garden Centre or getting fishing and camping gear. The plant choice isn't as diverse as in the south, but the prices aren't outrageous, except for this display of hanging baskets. A hundred bucks! I'd gone to the store in search of a bug jacket, after being warned I will need one. However, everyone else apparently had the same idea because only a couple of large adult jackets were left. Fortunately, though, I found a large youth one that fit me. I must say I don't look forward to wearing the thing; it makes me feel claustrophobic.

In the early afternoon, I drove around Old Town because it's my favourite part of the city. As I've written before, the architecture is fascinating. This house, built by architect Gino Pin for himself, is an amazing example of building to the terrain. You wouldn't want to be on crutches to live here, though.
Pin has designed alot of other interesting buildings in the north, including the territorial legislature. When I was checking the spelling of his name, I was surprised to learn that he graduated from the Dal School of Architecture in 1965.

No comments: