Saturday, June 16, 2007

Nova Scotia Connections

I had to pick up my White Stripes concert ticket today, at the Birchwood Gallery, which features a spectrum of northern and Canadian artists.
There, I discovered Rod Charlesworth, who has a couple of paintings with Nova Scotian themes. He's from B.C., but apparently his work is in galleries throughout Canada and overseas.













"Inukshuk sun" ______________________________"Annapolis Royal"

There are lots of Nova Scotian connections here: the supper hour TV show has a regular columnist, originally from Middleton. The same night he was on the program, there was an item about an art camp for kids, led by a NASCAD grad.

While I was downtown I dropped into Overlander, the MEC of Yellowknife. I was all set to buy some kind of bear repellant, after hearing our first Bear Report broadcast on the morning show Friday. But I couldn't decide between the spray, which is in a hefty canister and the bangers, which consist of a launcher and pak of flares.
The spray would be like carting a fire extinguisher around with you and the bangers seem far too complicated in a moment when steady hands are required to assemble and set them off. Both cost around $31, though the spray is usable only once and there are six flares. Not sure if the idea is to launch them all, or keep them for separate encounters.
I think I'll wait for Carsten's upcoming visit on July 7th before venturing into the bush again. He can be my bear bait...



No comments: