Friday, June 1, 2007

The Road to Dettah

One of the reporters went to Dettah this morning to get some tape, so I tagged along. At this time of year, it's a 27 km drive, much of it over a gravel road. During the winter, it's a smoother ride over the 6 km ice road on Yellowknife Bay. That's what you see here in a photo I snagged from the Net.

My camera needed charging, so I lost an opportunity to get some lovely--and more seasonal photos. An elder and her young granddaughter were by the water's edge in this little Dene community. There's a school here, but it was very quiet when we drove in. Today was warm and sunny, but in Dettah where the ice is still on the water, it was much cooler.

On our way back, Kirsten, who was driving her own truck, stopped to pick up a man and woman hitch-hiking out of the community. They were visiting from Rae and were happy to get a lift as far as Yellowknife. The smell of alcohol wafted into the car when we let them in. They were headed for the Gold Range, a notorious bar in Yellowknife.

After work, I met up with a King's journalism grad who I'd taught in his first year, when I was a writing tutor at the university. Guy Quenneville came up right after school to start working at the News/North and Yellowknifer. He's been here only two months and today he found out they're packing him off to the bureau in Iqaluit for three months.
I tried the arctic char burger at Le Frolic.

No comments: