Sunday, June 3, 2007

Of Dabbling Ducks and Graffiti




I made it all around Frame Lake this morning, which includes the half that is more rugged than the groomed path that leads me to the CBC. From this vantage point, you can see the downtown core in the distance. I'd been warned to go out with someone first time around because the trail on this section isn't well marked. However, while there were no painted footprints like the ones at Range Lake, the red-capped steel posts provided adequate guidance. Besides, all you have to do is find the lake and know you're somewhere in the right vicinity. Most of this part of the trail is over the rock, but occasionally, a bit of boardwalk and stairs ease the scramble over rough terrain.


The bugs were out in full force in some spots, though not biting--at least not me. But the little ones were getting in my eyes. Next time out I'll bring that bug jacket along. I didn't see any of the "dabblers or divers", ducks that feed in the lake. For the birdists out there, the dabbling ducks include the American Widgeon and Pintails, which put their bums in the air while they feed. The divers are the Lesser Scaups and Surf Scouters--all new to me.


However, the graffiti on the tunnel that leads under the roadway at one point on the trail, is a reminder that the north and south do share some other features. I've seen graffiti on large rocks that look as though they'd be impossible to access. But, apparently, not.

No comments: