Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Standing with the Enemy

Grizzly's are cute when they're stuffed. This guy at the Visitor's Centre looks friendly compared to the wolverine and fox, which are posed in the act of devouring birds.

I'm taking a break during the second day of our regional leaders' meetings. Leadership competencies, behavioural interviewing--this is the stuff we're talking about. Believe it or not, I'm enjoying these sessions and learning so much about both management and leadership.

And we played another team building game that involved putting stickers on our foreheads that indicated how others were supposed to treat us during an exercise to come up with a solution to a problem. We didn't know what our particular label said, but it didn't take long to figure it out. One person was designated as the leader who must be obeyed; the others had such labels as "ignore me", "interrupt me" or "laugh at me". During the cash game, groups of 3 were given two five dollar bills. We had five minutes to figure out who should get the money. If we didn't decide, it would be forfeited. None of us fought over the money, because the stakes weren't high enough. In our group, we decided the two women should get it.

For dinner, we all went to the Wild Cat Cafe--I've been there more than most people who live in Yellowknife! I had the special of the day-- pickerel, with a garden green salad and rhubarb crumble for dessert. Jeff Gardiner, who heads up IT here, says he has tons of rhubarb and I can come over to pick some. Yahoo--I've been missing my spring hit of rhubarb.

Back to the bears: Apparently, the black variety have been known to wander the more ungroomed portion of Frame Lake Trail, where I walked on Sunday. It's been suggested I get some kind of Bear flare--you let it off and it should scare him or her into running away. But you have to make sure not to let the flare hit the bear because that pisses them off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HAHA..don't hit the bear! i'm sure in cases like that one would be lucky to get the flare going at all, to hell with aiming.