Thursday, May 24, 2007

A workspace with a view

No, I don't have an office but I do have a big-ass desk with a TV, radio, computer, printer and window. The view isn't terrific but the light is lovely. I'm across from the radio people and the TV folks are around the corner. We're all on the same floor, but in separate sections.

It's interesting hearing the northern interpretation of some national stories, such as the one about the U.S. trying to put an end to American hunters bringing home Polar Bear trophies.
For some Inuit, big game guiding has become a way of life that allows them to send their kids to university. The chase was on today for one such guide, but he was out hunting and they couldn't get hold of him for the morning. Apparently, a cross between a grizzly and polar bear was discovered recently. The story went national but I never saw it: I guess he was one ugly dude.

The weather took a turn to the warm today--it was 28 degrees in Fort Good Hope! While the ice is gone from Frame Lake, I don't expect to be jumping into the water there anytime soon.

Today I investigated how much it would cost to swim at the pool right across the road from the CBC. It's a lovely large centre with noontime swims and adult-only swims in the evenings.

The price is right, especially if you're a senior, and apparently I qualify because a senior here is anyone over 55. I wonder if that works at the movies too. I'll have to check it out--Shrek 3 is playing.

No comments: