Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Slow Food Yk style

Situated in what's called Old Town, this historic log cabin cafe only opens during the warm months. Elaine Look and I had lunch there on Victoria Day. Elaine had picked me up at the airport on Sunday, after my flight arrived four hours late from Calgary, and just before she had to work on the taping of a live concert.

The menu at the Wildcat Cafe includes Buffalo burgers ($15) and a Musk-ox caribou stew ($29) for dinner. I opted for the breakfast menu, which includes a northern version of Eggs Benedict that comes with smoked Arctic Char --as good as, if not better than Atlantic salmon! Food is more available and less expensive than I'd expected in the stores.

This is my alternative to the Wildcat...my kitchen.
The accommodation is located in commercial alley, right across from Foods Extra, a 7-day a week grocery store that carries President Choice products.

A quart of milk costs $1.25 and almond butter is $7.59. Some of the shelves are bare right now because the ferry has just started to operate again for the season. Yogurt and hangers are two items in short supply.


From the balcony of my suite it looks as though I'm in New Minas. I'm next to the Hospital and very close to Tim Horton's, Wal-Mart, and Coyote's Bar and Grill. But just a couple of minutes away there's a wonderful trail around Frame Lake that I take to get to and from the CBC.



The temps have been quite cool and, as you can see, there's still some ice on Frame Lake. Bikes and pedestrian share the trail that goes around the large lake. For me, it's a quiet pleasant walk that takes under 15 minutes to get to work.
I come out at the Aquatic Centre and right across the road is the
headquarters for CBC North.

No comments: