Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Civility and Civilization

I was so absorbed in my thoughts as I walked along the trail this morning en route to work that I forgot to take the path that leads to the CBC. So, I had to backtrack a bit--hardly as problematical as missing an exit on the rotary. My only near miss was a fox that shot out in front of me, near the spot where I leave the trail. On the weekend, a black bear on a trail 40 km near Yk encountered a couple and their dog: the people were OK; the dog wasn't so lucky.

Working at a job that is more or less self-directed and doesn't involve filling a 2 1/2 hour program is a challenge--one that I embrace. And today I got my teeth into a special project: co-ordinating what I hope will be a radio/TV special in mid-June about the pipeline. The help is greatly appreciated because the programs run on very lean personpower. The afternoon show consists of two people: the producer and host who is an announce-operator. There's no AP, no tech, no director.

I keep running into people who know people who I know. The following greetings are to some CBC colleagues: to Kim Garrity from Sonja Koenig; to Nina Corfu from Loren McGinnis; to Mary Lynk from Catherine Pigott. And I met a fellow who thanked me for leaving the News of the North 29 years ago, because he got my job at the newspaper and then joined the CBC. This afternoon I took part in a Respect in the Workplace session that will be mandatory for every employee across the country. I am happy to report it was all quite civil.

1 comment:

Slow Food said...

Oh, I am enjoying waking up in the morning and seeing a new post...the shot of the trail is clickable...nice