Friday, July 20, 2007

Stormy Skies and Fresh Fruit

I'm in a race against time to do my blog because I just know the power will go out again soon. It's been on and off all day long, starting at about 5 a.m. this morning. My fan shut off and I immediately woke up. At work, the power went out repeatedly until about 12:30. Many people are on emergency power, but I'm not set up for that so I kept losing emails that I was trying to write. The cause was lightening to the south of us where there were storms and heavy rain, while in Yellowknife the sun shone. However, this evening, as you can see, the skies are threatening. The power went off once during the supper hour news.



So, I went out to take pix of the sky and to check out the fruit guy. Let me rephrase that: I went to check out his fruit. He parks his truck in the Walmart parking lot and ships in fruit and veggies from the family orchard in Summerland, B.C.

He's been doing this for eight years, from the end of June to mid-August. Then he heads to farmers' markets in Alberta. I got some cherries, blueberries, peaches and tomatoes. After weeks of eating California stuff, I'm excited to get some Canadian produce. And that's about as local as it gets here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahaha you went to check out the fruit guy eh??? haha. annyway, that sky is awesome! very dark and threatening.