Sunday, July 15, 2007

FOTR Day 2

Carsten got on a plane at 7:15 this morning, ending his visit to Yellowknife and leaving me a little lonely. Even though I'll get to see him in Jasper in September, before I head home to Halifax, each good-bye is a reminder that he's living his own life, far away from Nova Scotia. I headed back to the festival on my own to take in a few more events under yet another big summer sky.
First up was Sarah Harmer, on stage with other female performers from the NWT and Saskatchewan.
Above is an interesting musical combo given the ad hoc name, "A Celtic Tartan Made of Chinese Silk". Three featured groups got together on one of the small stages to make music. From right to left: a Chinese troupe from B.C. called Silk Road Music that fuses traditional Chinese music with non-Asian traditions; Zephyr Artillerie, a Quebec band that blends folk, punk and poetry and a trio of Cape Bretoners--fiddler Rosie Mackenzie (formerly of the Cottars), Howie MacDonald and guitarist Dave MacIsaac.

Over at the cultural area, the Tulita Drummers were performing again, but this time the audience joined in for traditional Dene dancing, including Catherine Pigott and her dog Sah'dah, who has aboriginal roots of his own. Sah'dah comes from Lustelk'e and his original owner is Dene. But I'm sure Sah'dah enjoyed the caribou bones more than the dancing. I hadn't realized yesterday that there was free barbequed caribou, moose, buffalo and trout in the cultural area, all provided by the Dene. Why pay $5 for a
burger at one of the concessions?

I discovered that the sound technician for the Beer Garden was Norbert Poitras, the host/operator for Trail's End, the afternoon radio show.

Everywhere I went, I ran into people I know--some from the past, many new and then John Dunsworth from the Trailer Park Boys, who I had lunch with once in Halifax to book him for a special appearance on a Christmas show.

Today, as I leaned over the fence of the beer garden, listening to one last band before heading back to my suite, it struck me how amazing this experience of returning to the north is. Standing under the full sun on a field of sand, surrounded by a sea of interesting folk, I felt blessed to live once again in such a unique place.

No comments: