Sunday, July 8, 2007

Shaking all Over

I'd been warned that the Ingraham Trail worsens after Prelude Lake, which is as far as I ventured last time out. But I wasn't prepared for the washboard that made me lose control of the car momentarily. I hung on for dear life, as we bumped our way over the gravel road. The Chevy Malibu I got this weekend from Rent-a-Relic creaked its way over the road, the suspension groaning and the breaks squeaking. Roy gave me this car for heading out on the trail because it's bigger than the Focus I usually get. But it also had a cracked windshield and damaged bumper. Fortunately, this extremely bad stretch only lasted 10 minutes, then the road was bumpy and rutted, but had lost the gravel washboard effect. At times, hordes of hornets swarmed the car as we drove along. I was thankful for our closed windows and air-conditioning.

It's about a 20-minute hike into Cameron Falls, which drop 17 metres over the river. This is the location where a couple lost their dog to a bear the first weekend I arrived in Yellowknife. That's why I decided we weren't taking food in the backpack for a picnic. Instead, we headed back to Prelude Lake to eat by the water, then had another short hike on the panoramic trail.



Lots of boaters were on the water, including a sailboat. Some kids swam at the beach, where the water felt quite warm--warmer than the Atlantic Ocean. Next time I'll take my swimsuit.

I love the way they build the boardwalks around boulders and trees. It's a bit odd to find these manicured structures in such a rugged place. Most of the time you're scrambling over the boulders. At times I can't figure out why they've built steps or a walkway, except to avoid walking over the bog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I wish I was there now!! Oh well, a few short weeks!